Wednesday 8 May 2013

#AscotAsks Marco Botti, Key Runners and Riders for #RoyalAscot


1. How do you spot a good horse from when it is very young and what would you advise to watch in a horse maturing through its racing career?
I tend to look at confirmation of the horse, looking at the horse as a whole picture also helps. Good pedigree, good confirmation and good attitude all help. Having an excellent attitude becomes more important later in the career, as they need to keep the love of racing.

2. Do you have a favourite distance that you most like to train your horses for and why?
No, a winner at any distance is great!

3. Is Frankel the greatest horse you've seen and do you ever think we will see one like him again?
There is no doubt he has been the greatest racehorse that I have seen in my lifetime, as to if there will be another Frankel – we can only hope, and I would hope even more that he or she would come out of my yard.

4. If you had a choice would you rather a place in all the classics or a win in just one in the season?
Just one classic would be FANTASTIC!

5. What is your best prospect for a Group 1 victory this year?
For a group one victory this year, I would have to say on Saturday’s performance, Dandino. We have some lovely “potentials” in the yard.


6. Is Planteur the best horse you have trained, or has there been one that’s better?
Excelebration, Planteur and Gitano Hernando would all be in the same “superstar” league.

7. What or who inspires you?
Henry Cecil, he is an amazing trainer who has a great eye for talent. Espressos also help me find inspiration – we drink copious amounts in the office!

8. What horse/s are you most excited about watching this season?
Dawn Approach - He was real class and looked fantastic at Newmarket, when winning so impressively in this years Guineas.

9. How did you get into a career as a racehorse trainer?
I have been around racing and racehorses all my life, my father, Alduino Botti is champion trainer in my native Italy. I worked for my father and was also Champion Amateur Jockey in Italy before moving to Britain, where I had spells with Luca Cumani, Ed Dunlop and Godolphin.

10. Finally, what are you most looking forward to at Royal Ascot 2013?
We will hopefully have a good few runners at Royal Ascot this year; I would like to think that this year we will have our strongest team for Royal Ascot. If we had a winner, that would be the real icing on the cake. There is a great buzz around Prestige Place Stables in the run up to Royal Ascot week and it is great to be represented at the Royal Meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This